Masala stuffed baby eggplants
- 8-10 baby eggplants
Masala peanut stuffing:
- ¾ cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Zanzibar curry powder (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the eggplants.
- Cut in half lengthways but keeping the stem intact. Then, roll the eggplants over and cut in half lengthways again, and then open each eggplant out like a flower.
- Put all the ingredients for the stuffing into the mixing cup. Using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ immersion blender attachment, blend with a little water and pulse until coarsely ground and fully mixed. Season with the 2in1 salt and pepper grinder adjust seasoning to taste.
- Stuff as much of the paste into the eggplants as possible.
- Heat a little oil in a large, lidded frying pan over a medium heat, and add the stuffed eggplants. Cook over a low to medium heat until the eggplants are beginning to soften. After about 10 minutes, turn the eggplant over, add a splash of water and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the eggplants are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Using the can opener attachment to open the canned tomatoes. In another large saucepan heat a little oil, sauté the sliced onions, and cook slowly for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add the curry powder and cook for another two minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked, use the immersion blender attachment to blend to a smooth paste. Season with salt to taste.
- Pour the paste over the eggplants and bring to a simmer again.
Serve with rice and/or the Chickpea and dahl curry.