Chickpea and red lentil dahl
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 tbs fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Zanzibar curry powder (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- (1) 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup red lentils
- (1) 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Sea salt to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- Using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ with spice grinder attachment, add the garlic, chilli, and ginger. Add 2-3 tbsp of water and blend to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with lid. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, until it is translucent and soft.
- Add the paste and stir well. Cook for a minute or two.
- Next add the curry powder and the spices. Again, stir well and cook for just a minute or so.
- Using the can opener attachment, open the tins of chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and add to the saucepan.
- Then, add the lentils and chickpeas.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir regularly and add a splash of water if necessary. Once the lentils are cooked and the sauce has thickened add the spinach to the pan.
- Season with salt and lemon juice then stir well.
- Serve with rice, naan or chapati and fresh coriander.