Fluffy vegan oatmeal pancakes (with aquafaba)
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 ½ c almond, rice, or soy milk
- ¼ c vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup liquid from 1 can of chickpeas (this is called aquafaba)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Maple syrup and vegan butter to serve
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the oats, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted (about 3-4 minutes).
- Let the oats cool for a few moments
- Add the almond milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and vinegar to the mixing cup and blend together.
- Add the toasted ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and blend again to make a batter.
- Place the chickpea liquid and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ whisk attachment, whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form (about 6 minutes).
- Add the batter to the whisked chickpea meringue and using a rubber spatula or large spoon gently fold through the batter mix being careful not to let it deflate too much.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a small amount oil and reduce heat to low.
- Add small ladles of the mixture to the frying pan, to fry 3-4 pancakes at a time.
- Cook until bubbles start to appear on the tops and the bottoms are golden brown. Carefully flip the pancakes over and cook the other side until golden brown and completely set (about 3 mins).
- Serve with warm maple syrup and vegan butter as desired.