Cherry and almond cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 ¾ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup plain, gluten free flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 7 oz canned cherries, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 340°F
- Take an 8 inch, loose-bottomed cake pan. Grease well and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the golden caster sugar using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ whisk attachment. Whisk for about 5-6 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add in the almond extract, then continue to whisk while adding in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the ground almonds, flour and baking powder with a spoon.
- Then gently fold in the cherries.
- Spoon into the prepared cake pan and smooth with the back of the spoon
- Sprinkle the almonds on top and the turbinado sugar.
- Place in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before removing and placing on a rack to cool further.
(These also work well in small individual paper loaf pans - makes 6-8 but will need less cooking - check after 20 minutes)