8-10 Skinless chicken thighs
For the marinade:
- 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 5 green cardamom pods, seeds only
- 1 black cardamom pod, seeds only
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup thick plain yogurt (such as Greek)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons red Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat a dry pan with a heavy bottom over medium heat. Add the cloves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and cardamom seeds. Stir regularly to prevent burning and toast until you smell a rich aroma, about 2-3 minutes. Immediately place the seeds in a dish to cool and stop cooking. Once cool, use the BLACK+DECKER kitchen wand™ spice grinder attachment to grind to a powder.
- Add the garlic, ginger, oil, and 2 tablespoons of water to the mixing cup and blend to a puree with the immersion blender attachment.
- Put the yogurt in a large, non-reactive (glass) bowl and add the spice powder, puree, and remaining marinade ingredients. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Cut deep, diagonal slices into the tops of each piece of chicken thigh. (About 3 slashes per piece, depending on the size.)
- Add to the marinade. Make sure they are thoroughly coated on all sides and rub the marinade inside each of the slashes.
- Leave for least 4 hours or preferably overnight (the longer the better for a rich flavors).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Place the chicken thighs on a roasting rack and roast the chicken for 25-30 minutes (or until the juices of the chicken run clear when a knife is penetrated in the thickest part near the bone).
Serve immediately with rice, raita, and/or fresh naan bread.