Scallops on pea puree with parmesan crisps and salsa verde
- 12 extra large scallops
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 tablespoons light olive or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, diced
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- Salt crystals and black peppercorns
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 small handful of mint, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch of basil, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly smashed
- 2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pickles, roughly chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt crystals for seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan, cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Black peppercorns
For the Pea Puree
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the peas for 3-4 minutes. Drain, reserving a little of the water (you will need it to thin down the puree slightly).
- Using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ immersion blender attachment, blend the peas, adding the reserved water in small additions as needed. Blend for 2-3 minutes until you achieve a thick, smooth purée. Season with salt and pepper using the 2in1 salt and pepper grinder attachment and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- If adding the mint, fold through chopped mint now and serve.
For the Salsa Verde
- Put the parsley, basil, tarragon, garlic, capers, pickles, anchovies, lemon juice and the zest into the mixing cup, then purée using the immersion blender attachment. Scrape down the sides as necessary to blend everything evenly. Add olive oil and pulse to emulsify.
- Season with salt to taste using the 2in1 salt and pepper grinder attachment. Salsa Verde can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
For the Parmesan Crisps
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Using the immersion blender attachment, blend the parmesan to make a fine, crumb consistency. Mix the parmesan and flour together in a bowl.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the cheese mix 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Spread each mound to a 2-inch disks. (You can do whatever shape you fancy really).
- Sprinkle discs with black pepper using the 2in1 salt and pepper grinder attachment.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet using a thin spatula. Use as required.
For the Scallops
- Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel and season well.
- Preheat a large frying pan and lightly coat the bottom of the frying pan with oil.
- Add the scallops to the hot frying pan, flat side down and cook until golden brown, this will take 2-3 mins. Do not move the scallops around in the pan as this will prevent them from cooking and coloring properly.
- Now turn the scallops over in the pan. Add the butter and baste the scallops using a spoon to coat each scallop in the butter. Cooking for a further 1-2 mins then leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the scallops - 3 each with the pea puree and parmesan crisps.
This puree and parmesan crisps go well with any fish, grilled chicken or lamb, or is delicious as a dip with some crumbled feta cheese.