Roasted tomato and pepper sauce
Great with pasta, fish, chicken, and chargrilled vegetables.
- 2 lbs medium, ripe tomatoes on the vine, halved (keep the stalks)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and quartered, stems removed
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 red onions peeled and quartered
- 1 small handful of thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sweet or hot smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Sea salt crystals
- Black peppercorns
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions, and thyme into a large roasting pan, including the tomato stalks (this gives the sauce a punchy tomato flavor).
- Mix the sugar and paprika together and sprinkle over the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions, thyme and tomato stalks.
- Drizzle over a good amount of olive oil. Mix well to coat everything, and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper using the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ 2in1 salt and pepper grinder.
- Place in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes or until the tomatoes, peppers and onions are soft and starting to char.
- Remove and set aside. Remove the stalks from the tomatoes as well as any thyme stalks and discard.
- Put into a stable container and blend until smooth using the immersion blender attachment.
- Scatter with the torn basil leaves.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freezer for up to 3 months