- 1 black cardamom pod
- 6 green cardamon pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1.5 inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 red dried chillies (We recommend Kashmiri chillis for this recipe)
- 3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoons peppercorns
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (can use garlic powder as a substitute)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Heat a small dry frying pan over a medium heat and then add all the whole spices. Toast, stirring until they begin to brown and release their aroma and natural oils (about 30-40 seconds). Let cool completely
- Transfer to the BLACK+DECKER® kitchen wand™ spice grinder attachment and grind to a fine powder.
- Once ground, add the asafoetida and turmeric to a bowl with the ground spices and mix.
- Store in a jar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.